The Cottage Life Forum

A site for all cottage/camp/cabin or lotage owners to gather and share their experiences.
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water Lines
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:30 pm 

I have a heated water line that draws from the lake into our winterized cottage. We are sometimes away for 2 weeks and I am not sure if I can safely shut off the water supply inside the cottage when we are away. The purpose of shutting the water off is to avoid free flowing water in case a line bursts inside the cottage. The cottage is winterized and the heat is kept at 15 degrees C when not in use. Because the water line is heated I am not concerned about the intake pipe freezing.

What are fellow cottager experiences ? Thank you and Happy New Year to All !!

Post subject: Re: Water Lines
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:23 pm 
Fundraiser, Treasurer, Site Supporter

I don't have an answer... but wanted to Welcome you to the Forum, PCMARSHALL. Happy New Year!

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:00 pm 

Welcome to the forum. Summer: Whenever I leave, I always shut off the main water valve that feeds the building, and turn off the breaker to the pump.

Winter: I add the step of draining all the lines, and adding antifreeze to the drain traps.

Note: My neighbour asked me to check their cottage in winter and I found a terrible mess. A line had ruptured that feeds the kitchen sink, and the pump just kept running along. We estimate it ran for three weeks, as they were not up much. Living room was ruined. Turning things off is the best if you are not there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:44 pm 

By all means, turn off the water when you're not there. Even if you had a break and had the losses covered by insurance, those companies have a way of disappearing if they have to pay out a claim.

Should the power go off long enough for the place to freeze and a pipe bursts, when the power comes on again and warms the place up you could have all sorts of problems if the pump is still pressurized.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:27 pm 

Turn off the main intake valve inside your cottage and cut the power to the pump, but leave the line heater on. If you release the pressure, any burst pipe will just empty out to the highest point below the break. Leave taps open for added safety, but be careful that any ball valve you close doesn't freeze. I cracked one some years ago that I had forgotten to leave open. The slug of ice in a 3/4-in in a ball valve will crack the brass casing.

WARNING! Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear.

Annual Cottage Day Count:
2017 — 71 / 2016 — 105
2015 — 59 / 2014 — 60 / 2013 — 58 / 2012 — 77 / 2011 — 64 / 2010 — 80

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:40 pm 
Site Supporter

I agree with the rest. Turn the pump off to prevent the cottage from filling up if you have an issue. We actually use this rule even in the summer as various pipes and tubes can fail resulting in a lake inside the cottage which is not where we want it.

Do you have a self draining line? If that is the case there should not be any water in the line when turned off and drained.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:11 pm 
Site Supporter

Turn off main valve and power to pump keep heat trace on.I added a main drain valve to the lower part of the plumbing and just drained lines and kept taps open.When I returned to cottage I just turned pump back on turned on main valve and I let the system run to fill up line and remove air.Takes all of 2 minutes and as Harold said we to turn our pump off in the summer but do not drain lines.